Sleep routines are unique to every individual. Some people may dim the lights and enjoy candles or a soft set of twinkle lights in the evening. Others may take a hot bubble bath or read a book before hitting the hay after a long day.
Then there’s me. I opt to build an adult pillow fort.
Okay, okay, it’s not a full-blown pillow fort like you may have built when you were a kid. You know the ones I’m talking about where you take all the couch cushions off the couch, grab some blankets and pillows, and build a pillow fort to camp out in all day?
Actually, come to think of it, pillow forts for adults should really be a thing because that sounds kind of fun…anyways, I digress.
When it comes time for bed, I’m like a dog who finds a spot they really like and nestles in for the night. I’m simply creating the most ideal conditions for a restful night of sleep. Here’s why you should consider sleeping in an adult pillow fort.
Benefits of sleeping in an adult pillow fort
There are many benefits to sleeping in an adult pillow fort, shares Katherine Hall, Ph.D., a sleep psychologist at Somnus Therapy. “For one, it can help improve your sleep quality by providing support for your head and neck, as well as keeping your spine in alignment,” she says.
Because of this, you can also wake up feeling more rested and refreshed, without any aches and pains that can come from sleeping in an uncomfortable position.
Sleeping in an adult pillow fort can help reduce stress and anxiety levels and promote feelings of safety and security, explains Hall. (This is why I enjoy sleeping in an adult pillow fort so much.)
“Since the pillows will be wedging you in on both sides, you will feel like you are being hugged all night long,” she says. “This can be especially beneficial for those who sleep better when they are provided with a sense of comfort and security.”
Lastly, sleeping in an adult pillow fort can be a fun and relaxing way to unwind at the end of a long day — because let’s be honest folks, who doesn’t love building a pillow fort?
“It is a great way to create your own personal oasis where you can just relax and let all your worries fade away,” notes Hall. “When you are able to sleep better and more soundly, you will feel better overall and be able to take on whatever the day throws your way.”
How to build pillow forts for adults
When it comes to building my adult pillow fort, here are the steps I follow:
- First, I like to have a pillow under my head (obviously). I use one that’s specifically designed for side sleepers.
- Next, I make sure I have two pillows behind me. I usually stack them, but you can also place them next to each other vertically to make them sort of like a makeshift body pillow. (Way to get your MacGyver on.)
- After that, I place my actual body pillow in front of me so I have something to rest my top arm on. This is so my shoulders aren’t crouching, slumping, or twisting in a way that could leave me with a kink in my neck the next morning.
- Once those pillows are properly situated, I place a small pillow in between my knees to ensure my lower spine isn’t twisted and I’m not putting any additional pressure on my hips.
- Last but certainly not least, I place a pillow on top of my head, primarily to make sure my ear is covered to drown out all of those lovely city sounds of sirens and traffic. (Ahhh..city life).
I know, I know, it’s a lot of pillows — but I think I’m on to something here.
Give me all the pillows
Whether you prefer to sleep on your back, side, or something else, the placement of your pillows can play a significant role in your sleep quality.
It may not be the pillow fort you used to build as a kid, but pillow forts for adults should totally be a thing for good reason — a good night’s sleep! So go ahead and channel your inner child and build that adult pillow fort.
Need more tips on how you can sleep better? Check out the benefits of sleeping naked, the best sleeping positions, foods to eat (and avoid) to improve your quality of sleep, and general tips to help you sleep soundly through the night. Yeah, we write a lot about sleep.